Thank you for applying for financial assistance to attend the International Affairs Conference. IA is committed to making the conference as financially accessible as possible, and welcome applications from all who wish to join our exciting community.
Financial Assistance Procedures
Kathy Mulligan Lord
9 Orange Street #2
Newburyport, MA 01950
Application should be submitted by March 10th to allow time for the financial assistance committee to award offers and for applicants to submit a conference application by April 15th. Below are important dates for the financial assistance program to operate smoothly.
- March 10th, Financial assistance application due. Late applications may be considered if funds are available.
- March 27th, Financial Assistance Chair notifies applicants of financial assistance offers.
- April 7th, Applicant notifies Financial Assistance Chair on acceptance of financial assistance.
- April 15th, Applicant submits conference application and deposit.
- IA’s Financial Assistance Program funds are generated yearly through the art auction, silent auction, and individual donations.
- All financial assistance applications are held in strict confidence and are only viewed by the Financial Assistance Committee, comprised of three IA Shoalers, one of whom serves as the Chair, as well as the IA Registrar/Treasurer, who is a non-voting member.
- IA financial assistance is limited to no more than 50% of room and board, and a maximum of $1500 per family group. The boat fee is included as part of your room and board expenses, but conference registration fees, transportation to Portsmouth, and parking are not covered by financial assistance.
- Only full-week conferees (five nights or more) are eligible to apply for financial assistance.
- Financial assistance applications may be made for consecutive years, but repeat requests may be deferred at the discretion of the Financial Assistance Committee until first time applications have been processed.
- Applicants may apply for both IA and Star Island Corporation (SIC) financial assistance. However, you may not accept awards from both IA and SIC. It is acceptable to initially accept IA financial assistance and later turn it down if SIC awards more assistance. The deadline for Star Island financial assistance is normally around June 1st and notification by June 15th. Application can be found at
- IA and SIC financial assistance can be combined with special discounts and promotions, not to exceed total room and board expenses.
- Applicants are encouraged to request only what they truly need and are encouraged to volunteer, as they are able, to assist with conference activities.
- IMPORTANT: Should you be notified of a financial assistance award and circumstances prevent you from using the award, you must notify the scholarship committee as soon as possible so that the funds may be distributed to others.